You hear talk about how important self care is but how do you actually apply it to your busy life? I’m sharing 6 self care ideas that work.
We’ve all heard it before: we need self care.
For many, self care seems to be an unreachable idea. Here are ways to actually find time and enjoy that precious self care for busy women!
Why Self Care is Important for Women
When it comes to self care it is not always easy to find time for. It often seems like there are more important things that need your attention throughout the day.
Here’s what you need to know though. It is VERY important to take care of yourself, take care of your family and your loved ones in the best way possible.
Self care helps you be a happier mom, wife and friend, which in turn makes the relationships around you happier and healthier.
We’ve all heard the saying that you cannot pour from an empty cup, and that is so true for women. By taking time for yourself, you give your body, mind, and spirit a “reset” which allows you to care for your friends and family.
Routine self care also helps women avoid burnout.
Here are a few quick ways to help you find the time and mental capacity to practice self care even when super busy or tired.
1. Acknowledge that self care is a priority and commit to it. Practice those affirmations! Here are a few of my favorite self care affirmations:
- I deserve time for myself
- Self care is not selfish
- I am a better mom when I take time for myself
It may take some time to work through these emotions and negative mindset, but it is worth it. Acknowledge that self care is essential to yourself every day, and you will start to believe it!
When you make it a priority, you will reap all the benefits, and there will be no room left for guilt.
2. Create a self care plan with strategies that work for you. Everyone needs a different type of self care. For some, it is working out, but for others, it is binge-watching their favorite show. Try out a variety of things and see what truly helps you feel fulfilled and more like yourself. Then stick with that and create your own self care plan.
3. Stop feeling guilty about taking time to take care of yourself. This goes back to the first step. It is so hard to change those feelings, but remember that you NEED self care. Your family will be okay without you and are better off when you take care of yourself. I used to feel so guilty every time I would be by myself. Eventually, it ruined self care altogether for me. I wasn’t enjoying it and was more stressed when I took that time. By working through those emotions and realizing that I had that guilt, I could move forward. Now when I take time for myself, I feel rejuvenated and like I am a new person.
4. Practice self care when you feel overwhelmed or stressed out, not just when something feels “wrong”. Self care is not meant to be a last resort when you are about to explode. It is a routine thing that you do on a daily basis. Even if you love being a mom and feel great, it is still important to take that time. Self care helps you find who you once were before becoming a mom or wife. It helps you continue your hobbies and be something other than just a mom or wife.
5. Consider what might motivate you to take better care of yourself, and then find ways to give yourself that reward every day (even if it’s just five minutes!). Reward yourself for taking care of yourself! Learning about our motivation helps our drive to change and do something. When you motivate yourself with rewards to practice self care, you are more likely to do it and feel good about it, so if this works for you, do it! Eventually, self care will be natural to you.
Self care is not always about going to the spa or giving yourself a manicure. It can be as simple as a few minutes of meditation, walking around the block, or writing in a journal.
The key is to do something that you enjoy, giving you some time for yourself.
We all know how tough it can be to find time for ourselves. We’re often juggling work and parenting and have little time left over for ourselves.
If you are low on time or can’t find the energy or means to practice self care, start with these tasks first and work your way up. You got this, friend!
1. Take care of your health
You need to have a healthy relationship with yourself in order to have a healthy relationship with those around you. Taking care of your health helps you to get through each day. Even taking a few minutes a day to ensure you are healthy will make all the difference in the world.
2. Get enough sleep
I know this can be hard at certain seasons in your life, but so crucial. Even if it means the dishes don’t get done one day, take that time. You will feel so much better and have more energy to do the dishes later on.
3. Eat regular meals
As busy women, it seems almost impossible to find time to eat three meals a day, let alone cook it! But, as you slowly start to eat more, you will have so much more energy and will feel like a brand new person. Start off small and slowly work your way to eating regular meals.
4. Schedule time for leisure and relaxation
Now that your basic needs are being taken care of, start to schedule in time for your self care. If something is on the calendar, it is a whole lot easier to actually go through with it!
5. Be mindful and build mindfulness skills
Practicing mindfulness has so many benefits, but it is especially great for busy women! When I practiced being mindful daily, at least for five minutes in the morning and night, I felt like an entirely new woman. I was happier, and it changed my outlook for my entire day.
6. Find community and support from other women
While you want to find time to be alone, it is also important and fun to take a self care day with other moms around you!
Find a support group or get together with some women in your neighborhood, and you will feel amazing.
Find time for yourself, friend; you need it, you deserve it. I know it is hard in the beginning, but it is totally worth it. You can do this!
There you go friends! We’re on this road called life together and I want you to be the best version of yourself that you can be. What tip resonated with you the most that sounded like it was something doable that you could implement today? Even though, I work hard daily on many of these, I think can definitely improve on the healthier eating and mindfulness.
I encourage you to PIN this image to your favorite Pinterest board so you have easy access to it and you can share it with all your friends.
If you want me to send you a text when I share blog posts like this, just send me a text to 913-243-2072 and I’ll add you to my texting community that you are going to LOVE. By doing that you are already committing to number 6 in the list above. I pray for you and encourage you as you go through your long and busy days.