We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Business’s grow a lot faster than people do! With the rise of social media, businesses can sky rocket through the roof and if you aren’t personally keeping up then you’ll get left behind. This year, The Ruffled Daisy celebrated 8 years of being in business! It’s been an amazing 8 years but it’s also been a challenging 8 years. Running a business on your own (with just the hubby’s help) is a lot of work. Some days were spent not giving enough to my husband and kids because the business needed me. Some days were spent stressed and frazzled because I didn’t have enough hands or hours in the day. With all of those demands, my personal and family life felt the pull of it and it started to take a toll on things. It’s been a rough year.
When you’re the CEO you don’t get to look out the window, you get to look into the mirror. Let me tell you something. You learn A LOT about yourself when you’re in business for yourself. And sometimes, it takes some major changes and shake-ups to make you REALLY look into that mirror. I want to reach people through my business. But I have learned that
[bctt tweet=””there is far more work God is doing in me than through me”.” username=”RuffledDaisy”]
Success at work DOES NOT equal to success at home!!! Success starts at home!
I need to mature in my faith, my family, in being a godly wife and mom, and running a smooth and “successful” household. I’ve realized it’s time for mature decisions because life was beginning to fall apart around me. I’ve made some very immature decisions and those decisions have led me to being an “emotionally bankrupt successful business owner”. That’s a pretty convicting description. What customer wants to look at a business owner and see that? It is my heart’s desire to reach people and be an Encourager of women from all walks of life! BUT FIRST – I have to get my own shit together. Let me tell ya though – we won’t ever be perfect! God is simply reminding me that there is work to be done IN ME before any work can be done THROUGH me!
Here what I am seeing – how can I expect God to trust me with what I have been blessed with when I am not living for him? How can I expect God to bless my family and business with more when I am not following him? All the chasing and running after only takes you so far. When you are a woman (or man) who has a heart for God, you can only ignore it for so long before the blessings stop being put in front of you.
[bctt tweet=”Hard work will get you far – but it won’t get you to the finish line! Your faith in GOD is what gets you there.” username=”RuffledDaisy”]
As you may have noticed, things haven’t been as busy around here because I’ve had to rein in some things and really focus on what was important. YES, my business is of GREAT importance to me and it’s not going anywhere….BUT my home and family life is of GREATER importance! Without their support, I wouldn’t have been able to grow The Ruffled Daisy to where it is today! I’ve had many opportunities and many blessings along the way – and I’ve also let some very important things take the back seat.
Things are going to slow down a little so I can enjoy this season with my husband and kids! They need me. And in reality, I need them too. My soul needs to slow down a little.
Will you walk this path with me?
- Do less. It’s hard to slow down when you are trying to do a million things. Instead, make the conscious choice to do less. Focus on what’s really important, what really needs to be done, and let go of the rest
- Be present. It’s not enough to just slow down — you need to actually be mindful of whatever you’re doing at the moment. Focus on what’s going on right now. On your actions, on your environment, on others around you.
- Focus on people. Too often we spend time with friends and family, or meet with colleagues, and we’re not really there with them. We talk to them but are distracted by devices. We are there, but our minds are on things we need to do. We listen, but we’re really thinking about ourselves and what we want to say. Connect with people rather than just meeting with them.
- Single-task. The opposite of multi-tasking. Focus on one thing at a time. When you feel the urge to switch to other tasks, pause, breathe, and pull yourself back.
- Breathe. When you find yourself speeding up and stressing out, pause, and take a deep breath. Take a couple more. Really feel the air coming into your body, and feel the stress going out.
Remember, that you can’t change what goes on around you but you can change what goes on within you!
I pray that all of you stick around through this tough season and that we learn together to slow down a little in life. Yes, we can all chase that dream…but don’t forget that your dream isn’t the only thing that needs your attention and love. God placed your family by your side to walk with you through the tough times. Pay attention to where you are being called to slow down and smell the daisies some. Enjoy holiday nights of being cuddled by a fire with your loved one’s drinking hot chocolate and remember the dreams you have with them too. Chase the business dream tomorrow….it will still be there if it’s your passion and in your destiny.
[bctt tweet=”It’s time to slow down and LOVE your life instead of just living your life!” username=”RuffledDaisy”]